This page is about using PayPal to for deposits and withdrawals on NJ online casinos. See our Banking Guide for information about other deposit and withdrawal methods.
PayPal is an online wallet that offers a fast and secure way for users to make purchases online, transfer cash to family and friends or receive payment for goods and services. What’s more, it can now be used to conveniently fund an online gambling account at eight legal New Jersey gambling websites. These eight sites allow players to use their personal PayPal account to make instant deposits and withdrawals, circumventing problems which can sometimes arise with the use of other methods.
New Jersey Online Casinos Accepting PayPal
*888 and Pala PayPal deposits can also be used for online poker. The only other NJ poker site that accepts PayPal is WSOP.
Why choose PayPal?
- Reputation: PayPal is an established and trusted brand, boasting nearly 200 million active users across the globe.
- Security: PayPal uses the same encryption and security technology that you would find at any large online financial institution. Rest easy knowing that the money in your account is safe and protected.
- Privacy: With PayPal, you won’t need to divulge your personal details every time you make a purchase at a new site, adding another layer privacy to your transaction. While you never need to worry about your financial details being misused at legal and licensed NJ online casinos, the extra security can give added peace of mind when using your account at other retailers.
- Speed: After linking a bank account and/or credit card to your PayPal account, your deposits and withdrawals at online casinos will be credited to your player account instantly.
How to set up a PayPal account
Setting up a PayPal account is easy and free to do. Just follow the steps below:
- Visit the PayPal website and click the “Sign Up” button. You’ll then be prompted to choose either a “Personal Account” or “Business Account.” To make deposits into New Jersey online casinos, you must choose the Personal Account option.
- Now enter your name, email address and choose a password, before clicking the “Next” button.
- Enter your mailing address and phone number, then tick the terms and conditions box before clicking the “Agree” button.
- Go to your email and verify your PayPal account by clicking the link inside the verification email.
- Your PayPal account has now been created. Proceed to funding your account to finish the process.
Funding your PayPal account
To fund your PayPal account, first add a bank account to your profile by clicking the “Link a bank or card” option. Once you have added a bank account, you can then transfer money from your bank to PayPal, a process which takes 3-4 business days. However, if you add a credit card along with a bank account, PayPal can pull the funds from your bank account instantly, with no fee, even if your PayPal balance is zero.
While PayPal customers can also make payments or fund their accounts with Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit or debit cards, NJ online casinos won’t accept deposits funded through these methods.
With your PayPal account funded, or with a bank account and credit card backup set up, you are now ready to make a deposit at an NJ online casino and start playing.
Withdrawing from NJ online casinos to PayPal
Withdrawing your money from an online casino into your PayPal account is a snap, just look for the PayPal logo in the cashier and follow the prompts.
Keep in mind that most sites allow you to cash out via PayPal only up to the amount you originally deposited using the service. If, for example, you deposit $200 using PayPal and win $100, you could withdraw the original $200 through PayPal, but would need to use another banking method to cash out the remaining $100.
Cashing out from PayPal
Once your cash arrives in your PayPal account, you can withdraw your money in one of the four following ways:
- Bank transfer: This is the most popular cashout method. Transfers are free and take an average of one business day to hit your bank account.
- Visa/MasterCard debit and prepaid cards: This is a faster way to transfer cash to your bank. The process takes around 30 minutes, and has a fee of $0.25.
- PayPal Debit MasterCard: This is the fastest way to receive your money from the site. You can use your PayPal Debit MasterCard wherever MasterCard is accepted and can withdraw up to $400 via ATM each day.
- Check: If you’re not pressed for time, you can elect to receive a bank check for a $1.50 fee. Your cashout will arrive within 1-2 weeks.
PayPal’s turbulent online gambling history
While PayPal can now process New Jersey online gambling payments legally, its involvement in the industry has not always been so cut and dry. In the early 2000s, when online gambling first started to grow popular, PayPal was the biggest iGaming payment transmitter on the globe. Doing business with offshore casinos of dubious legality, however, would soon come back to bite the company.
In 2003, after its acquisition by eBay, PayPal was charged with violating US anti-money laundering laws for making international money transfers with funds derived by criminal means. The company subsequently dropped all of its online gambling clients, which accounted for around 6% of its total revenues, and settled the case by agreeing to pay a $10 million penalty to the US government.
PayPal’s US Internet gambling comeback
It wasn’t until 2010 that PayPal dipped its toes back into the online gambling waters by processing transactions for licensed and regulated iGaming sites in Europe. The company made its return to US online gambling in 2015 when it became available on WSOP.com in Nevada and on several gaming sites in New Jersey.
Flying under the radar
Instead of trumpeting the achievement, however, the company chose to keep the launch quiet. There is a lingering perception by some that online gambling is still illegal across the US, and PayPal likely doesn’t want to jeopardize its business in states which are strongly against the industry.
Yet while only a small portion of the company’s revenues come from the NV and NJ online gambling markets, the site naturally wants to position itself well in the case that more populous states like California or Pennsylvania decide to legalize as well.
A Good Look for iGaming
While PayPal may not be having a huge impact on legal US gaming as of yet, its very participation in the market could add legitimacy to the nascent industry and help it grow. Several states are seriously considering legalizing some form of online gambling, and the involvement of a trusted brand like PayPal could help sway lawmakers’ opinions in favor of doing so.