In this exclusive white paper, we provide an in-depth look at the current state of the NJ online gambling market, and offer our projections for the year ahead. Will the industry gross more than $1 billion by the time 2018 comes to a close?NJ Online Gambling 2017 Recap and 2018 Outlook
The NJ online gambling industry finds itself entering 2018 on top of the world.
- Revenue has climbed dramatically in every year since the market went live in late November 2013,
- Newer formats such as Live Dealer are resonating deeply with the player community
- Online gambling has played a critical role in the reversal of Atlantic City’s decade-long slump.
From a macroscopic view, there’s little arguing that 2017 was the industry’s best year yet, with revenue spiking to nearly one quarter-billion dollars. However, some chinks in the armor are starting to show.
- After a series of record-breaking months in late 2016 and early 2017, monthly revenue has mostly stabilized.
- Online poker took a hard hit last year, suffering revenue losses.
- New sites either didn’t move the needle at all or did so moderately.
All of this is not to say the outlook for 2018 isn’t promising, especially with two new AC casino-branded sites on the horizon, but expectations must be tempered. We anticipate more modest growth this year, propelling the industry near or above the $1 billion mark in lifetime gross gaming revenue.