Since the moment the Supreme Court reversed PASPA on May 14, making legal, regulated sports betting an option for other states besides just Nevada, the wagering world has been counting down to football season.
For some, that means NFL Week 1, which is just a few days away. For others, that meant NFL Preseason Week 1, which began back on August 2. But for a lot of bettors and football fans, the action truly kicks off with the start of college football. Unlike what the NFL has given us so far, these are real games that count. And unlike what the NFL has coming starting on September 6, the waiting is over.
There were already 24 college games scheduled between last Saturday and today, and those were mere appetizers to the main course: the major Saturday slate. Tomorrow, we get our first loaded schedule of college football to bet on — and the first full college football Saturday of the mobile betting era in America.
Bet from the comfort of your phone
DraftKings Sportsbook was the first to hit the New Jersey market, on August 6, and DK is bracing for a whole lot of tapping and clicking leading up to — and beyond — the Saturday noon kickoffs.
There are 64 games on the Division I-A schedule, but in NJ, the rules prohibit betting on games that take place in the state or involve teams based in the state. So DraftKings customers won’t be able to wager on Texas State at Rutgers. Not to fear, though; they won’t lack for other betting options.
The two highlights of the Saturday schedule are 6th-ranked Washington at 9th-ranked Auburn and 14th-ranked Michigan at 12th-ranked Notre Dame. DK has Auburn as a 2.5-point favorite, and the Fighting Irish favored by 1 over the Wolverines. The latter line is particularly interesting, because some books show Michigan as the 1-point favorite.
In other battles of ranked teams, No. 8 Miami is a 3.5-point fave over No. 25 LSU on Sunday, and No. 19 Florida State is favored by 7.5 over No. 20 Virginia Tech on Monday night.
Other notable Saturday betting info
- Widest spread: The No. 3-ranked Georgia Bulldogs are giving 42.5 points against Austin Peay.
- Highest total: Bowling Green vs. Oregon and Florida Atlantic vs. Oklahoma both have an over/under of 72.
- Lowest total: Villanova vs. Temple, while a decent NCAA basketball game, has an over/under of just 38.5 points on the football field.
- In-game betting will spice up the festivities quite a bit, with money lines, point totals, and more being adjusted throughout each contest.
- Another game changer: the cash-out option. At DK Sportsbook, if your bet is looking like a loser, you can reclaim some percentage of what you risked before the game is over, or take a smaller payout on a likely winner without having to sweat it out until the end of the game.
Get NJ Online Casino And Sports Betting Updates
Subscribe to get the latest NJ online casino and sports betting news to your inbox.